Course Reserves Overview
What are course reserves?
Course reserves are supplemental materials reserved by instructors for the use of students in a particular class. Materials placed on reserve are available at the Library Circulation Desk located on the 5th floor of the One Main Building, or electronically. Due to the limited availability of course reserve materials, shorter loan periods are assigned.
What types of materials can be placed on reserve?
- Books (owned by the library or faculty)
- Book chapters or excerpts (10% or less of a copyrighted book is the Fair Use standard)
- Print journal articles*
- Electronic journal articles found in UHD library databases (subject to license)*
- Newspaper portions or excerpts*
- Original student projects or papers* (Original Materials Permission Form Required)
- Course syllabi, lecture notes, and tests*
- Electronic files, i.e. Power Point slides, spreadsheets, Word documents, etc.*
- Videos, DVDs, Audio Books, and Music CDs
*These items can be scanned for your convenience by the library and reserved electronically
What types of materials cannot be placed on reserve?
- Material categorized as “consumables.” These include: workbooks, lab manuals and test answer sheets – any item designed to be filled out and used by one person.
- Materials obtained through Interlibrary Loan or borrowed from other schools, including the UH main campus or the UH Clear Lake campus.
- Photocopies or scans of entire books or other materials.
For further assistance with the Course Reserves service, please contact us at:
Each semester the Library will announce a date at which we will begin accepting reserve materials for the upcoming semester. The Library will also publish a “guarantee date” for those reserves. Faculty who submit their material by or on the guarantee date will have their materials processed and available for their students on the first day of class. Materials submitted after the guarantee date are processed and published on a first-come, first-served basis.
Summer I – May 27, 2015
Summer II – May 27, 2015
Summer III – July 1, 2015
Fall Term – August 19, 2015
Winter 2015 - December 16, 2015